Sunday 22 February 2015

Long Tasks

Just when I think things are selling into place, I remember my issues with Long Tasks.

For me, a Long Task is almost anything that takes more than a few seconds to deal with.

There are a few different types of Long Task :-
Competition - who wins when running a race or grabs something first

Extended success roll - designing a gadget, painting a picture, deciphering a book

I think of these as 2 separate things, handled differently.

Competition - all participants make a success roll. highest success value wins.
In the case of a draw, highest facet value wins.
If still a draw, highest dice roll wins.
If still a draw, result is a draw.

Extended success rolls are things i want to deal with quickly. I don't want to make 20 success rolls, one after another, to represent 20 days passing and track progress from day to day.

I don't find that fun.
Although I can appreciate the build up of drama

So my solution, to keep things moving, is to have a base time for a task and modify the base time according to degree of success, to get an actual time

This can be done by having a single set of times, and move up and down according to success.

Or it could be done by having separate times for a selection of base times, and move up and down according to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment