Friday 22 August 2014

Where to begin.

Welcome back...

When I started to put a system and setting together, I drew inspiration from the things I enjoyed in films, tv, books, existing RPGs.


There were games I'd enjoyed, but something was lacking and I set about making something I wanted to play.


I wanted something where actions were easy to resolve, characters didn't take hours to build, things were flexible enough to throw in, the rules didn't break easily, there wasn't a lot of maths involved.


I wanted to emulate some of the books and films I enjoyed - Indiana Jones, Akira, Blade Runner, Robocop, James Bond, Takeshi Kovacs, Neuromancer, Call of Cthulhu, Doctor Who, Ghost in the Shell, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2020, Space 1889, Traveller, GURPS, D&D, and many more.


A tough order !!


I'm more of a scifi buff than a fantasy enjoyer, so I knew I'd want something set in the near future or similar.


While I enjoyed cyberpunk, I felt it was too cliched and meaningless when almost all of its qualities existed in the real world or became cliches in the stories and games that existed - and only the attitude seperated it from other science fiction.


I didn't want to venture into the far future, because that didn't feel right.


Urban fantasy has become popular, and is something I've always enjoyed - so that was something to think about.


I wanted a setting set in the near future, that allowed me the freedom for player characters to be involved in several different types of game and allow people to take the game in their own directions.


For this to work, the rules need to be flexible enough to handle almost anything, robust enough to not break easily and quick enough to resolve things that the game didn't get slowed down.


No comments:

Post a Comment